Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Independence Housing


I have always loved alternative home construction. Earthships initially interested me, but I have been a bit put off by the sheer amount of brute physical labour required to erect one. It's simply impossible to slap one up in a season.

Straw bale is probably a better choice, and it can be done without post and beam as I learned many years ago in a seminar with Chris Magwood.

Recently, I have been looking into it again and have discovered tiny homes. I like the concept; they are small, energy efficient, easy to build and portable. The only drawback is that you have to live in a small space, but that doesn't bother me too much. I have lived on a sailboat and in a small Korean apartment for nearly a decade. In such a small space, solar and wind are viable energy options. I'd be willing to bet that if insulated well, even a candle could heat one of these in the winter.

Here's a nice video that an old gentleman with a noble philosophy has put up on youtube.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment